Thursday, November 17, 2011

Les Chansonettes

Les Chansonettes -- anyone know much about 'em? They seem to be pretty obscure, no wikipedia page, etc., on Shrine Records (owned by Barry Gordy) outta Washington, DC in the early '60s, for just a year or two. I stumbled on their "Don't Let Him Hurt You" B/W "Deeper" 7" at a Phoenix record swap meet (at the Italian club), bought it on a whim for $2, and play it all the time in soul sets. I'm assuming their name comes from the french "chanson" or lyrical song, although female singers of chanson are called "chanteuse" not chansonette, but whatevs, we're 'merican, dammit! I dig their wailer of a b-side "Deeper" a tad more, so that's first. They also released a slower, bluesier number called "I almost left you" -- not bad, just a bit slow in the tempo. These chicks are smokin' hot! And they wail!
 

I like this one, because it's someone's birthday party! Don't let him hurt you!

1 comment:

  1. One of the singers is my aunt. We’ve been looking for an original vinyl copy

    ReplyDelete