Wednesday, December 12, 2012

Evidence XCIV: Birthday Grinds

Every year since I turned 40 I've done my age in frontside grinds in a backyard pool. Last year I spread them out over three: Loyola, Charlotte's, and Mike's. One year, it was all at Charlotte's (and Ham'n'Cheese made a video and stuck it on youtube). One year, Dixon took me to two horrendous pools, one a steep pit where I would take runs and miss grinds because it was so hard, and the other a pebble tech pool with good tranny but meat grinder surface. Thanks for that, Dickborg. This year, I figured I would hit that killer cool deck pool we skated two days prior (I'm calling it dusty deck). I had a meeting at work from 2-3, and figured I'd bail after that. But at that meeting I found out we had another meeting from 3-4. It gets dark at 5:15 or so, and we were going to head to the West Side to shred, so there'd be traffic to deal with. I cut out of the meeting early (3:30), picked up Hoss, made some calls, and headed to the Foundry to meet Dixon, Craig, Joe, and Livingston. We left right away to get to the pool, all the while watching the sun sinking in the sky. It seemed like we had 15 minutes or so when we were pulling up to the cul de sac, but then came the bomb: the pool had been recovered. Hoss and I didn't care and wanted to skte, but the consensus was best to leave it alone. We scrambled -- I didn't want to miss out on my grinds. Livi call Pelon, who lived in a spot with a crappy little pool (the pigeon pool) but who let us ride. He said it was a go. I couldn't remember if I could grind that pool.  Then I remembered I could, and it was just the death box that gave me trouble. It's a little 5-6 footer, steep, but smooth and round. On the way, Joe Dirt took us by one or two possibilities, but they didn't work out. When we got there, Livi said he knocked but nobody was home. And there are two pits in the backyard; friendly, but you probably don't want to go back there unless the owner is there. I knocked again, someone answered, and we were in. I immediately set to the task at hand. Half way through, I ruined my back. But I made it to 44. Thanks guys!

Death doesn't give Dixon any trouble. 
Nor Craig... 
Leaving the plate there... 
Evidence remains.

No comments:

Post a Comment