Monday, November 12, 2012

1971 Honda CB175 -- "Gary Glitter"

1971 CB175 cafe racer is just about done. Finished up the seat today -- not perfect, but for me they never are Fires up and screams down the road through all five gears. Might move the tach or try to get it a bit lower, and I've got to reroute the clutch cable (again). Fuel and air (with pods and open exhaust) seem to be pretty damn spot on -- there was no need to jet, but enough adjustment with the stock carbs. Several cans of Krylon Gold Glitter Blast and several coats of POR-15 clear coat, and it's looking killer. Didn't touch the frame -- it's still dirty -- but that's a bit like the bike's namesake himself, Gary Glitter: gleaming and glittery on the surface but a dirty bugger on the inside. 
Clip ons and white grips, and took off all the paint on the original honda emblems. 
Cat tail light. 
CL175 scrambler pipes, cut just before the muffler. 
CB160, the 175's older but smaller brother. Took both bikes for a spin today, both are loud and proud, quick as hell, and head turners. CB175 is for sale, but there are already some interested parties...
It's good to be back!

4 comments:

  1. How did you get to run right ?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Y'know, I really didn't need to do much to get it running well. The usualy tune up stuff, new plugs, points and condenser, valve adjustment, timing, oil change and filter, and replaced the air filters with cheapo Emgos. There was enough room for adjustment for enriching the mixture in the carbs so that it ran well with the stock jetting. No top end lagging, it ripped pretty well. That being said, I also only ripped around town for a couple weeks before I sold it. If I were to keep this thing (and sometimes I wish I woulda, I miss it, it was a cool bike), I likely would have done something to baffle or muffle the exhaust. And I never did a plug chop, but I did pull the plugs and check em out, and they seemed OK. I'm guessing that it might've run lean at the top end, which might turn into a problem at some point, depending on how the thing is ridden.

    ReplyDelete