Thursday, August 15, 2013

Life in the 'Dick, part 2

So it's been another week, and that makes it about three weeks that I've been livin' in Natick ("the 'Dick"). Got another killer skate session in down in Attleboro, this time Matt Moffett showed up -- he's living in Newport, working on a film on pollution in the ocean.

Went to the other record store in town the other day. Rode my motorcycle down there, and since it is "downtown" there are parking meters. Want to guess how much it costs to park in the Dick? How about $.25 per hour. Yep, a quarter an hour. The shop was cool, much more organized than the chaos at the other one, but I didn't spend too much time there -- gotta go back and be more thorough. Boxes of 7"s, but they're not alphabetical, just thrown in a box.

Got Meg out on her bike for the first time. Thought we would go for a quick couple of miles to warm up the bikes after they had gotten rained on a little (yes, they are covered, no, not very well). She decided to hightail it and cruise all around these little routes around the house, and proceeded to haul ass and not look back.

Spiders are diggin' my 350F, apparently.


Went for a couple walks with Meg, including Coolidge Hill, which has a nice view of distance mountains. Last night we had a little walk around downtown, and I noticed that the Dick can sustain shops as quaint as cobblers, vacuum repair shops, an old style barber, and other businesses that simultaneously evoked the Andy Griffith Show and gave relief that big business and box stores haven't taken over everything, everywhere. Cool Italian deli, I went in to try the cannoli and told them it was my first time there. They told me first time customers get a free cannoli! It was freakin' good (but I am still going to miss Tesoro).
The view from Coolidge Hill. We are going to be living at the base of this.
Canolli. Good.
 
While it's true that I will miss riding my bicycle one mile either south or west to see live punk shows, there is no motorcycle scrapyard that has acres of bikes, and I keep thinking of the word "quaint" whenever I think about it, I am getting used to life in suburbia.

Meg and I did make a trip to Boston last weekend -- she indulged me in going to look at some record stores. Armageddon has a shit ton of killer punk and metal, but I didn't have much time there. Weirdo records has awesome stuff, including those comps of obscure Nigerian funk from 1971-72 or Cambodian street music from 1967-68, etc., and they carry Norton and other stuff. Biggest disappointment was Cheapo Records. Spent the longest time there poking around their stacks --  mostly crap thrift-store type records that are overpriced. Went through a couple boxes of singles behind the counter, but not much there. Worst off all, the owner guy was kind of a condescending blowhard asshat. Won't be going back, but do want to check out In Your Ear. Meg and I got killer coconut iceream at NoMu and headed home.

No comments:

Post a Comment