Tuesday, September 10, 2013

Life in the 'Dick, part 3 (and points elsewhere too)

More life in the 'Dick? That's Natick to you. You should come and visit. You can kick it in the 'Dick!
Meg and I made another trip to her hometown for a visit to the beach (possibly the last of the season?), and decided to take the Valiant. This is the lighthouse where we got married.
Speaking of Mattapoisett -- I'll come back to it in a second -- do you know why it's important to this guy? Any true fan of the Bruins can tell you who this is: Rene Rancourt, the dude who's been singing the national anthem at their games for the past 35 years. He lives in the 'Dick, but has a connection to Mattapoisett. There is a cool, old style burger spot named Casey's in the Dick, been here since 1922.

I had trouble opening the door the first time I went (see "Life in the Dick, part 1"), but I got it under control now. Good hot dogs and burgers. So before we headed to Maine for Labor Day (along with everyone else on the East Coast, judging from traffic) I had a burger there. There are only 10 stools (most people get stuff to go or to eat outside), and there was a spot at the end next to this older guy. I have a copy of the NYT, he makes fun of me and asks me if I am from there, I tell him no, Seattle by way of Phoenix, but my wife is from here, a small town called Mattapoisett. "Do you know it?" I ask him. "Know it? I lost my cherry there!" he responds. He proceeds to tell me in graphic detail about how he was in college, had a trip to Mattapoisett, met a girl at a party, and got a BJ. "It was dark out, and it was only when we went back into the party that we could see the grass stains on her skirt!" Then I found out who he was -- Rene himself! He is now a hero and I am hoping we can chill again at Casey's  -- he lives in the Dick, too! I texted a few friends that day and told them the story, and they didn't believe it for a while. But how could I make that up?
Later that day, we went up to Maine to visit Meg's Aunt and Uncle, and her cousins, and their kids. We stopped at Bob's Clam Hut on the way -- a tradition for us and Meg's family. Amazing whole belly fried clams, and Meg's digging in to her lobster roll.
We had such a great time swimming and kayaking and playing Scrabble, croquet and badminton that I didn't take any photos. I also shaved off my beard in 5 stages, and was going to post photos but I'm feeling a little selfie conscious.
 
I take it back. I took a photo of this sign. All the beaches were for "residents only" -- I decided that people in Maine need to learn how to share.
After returning, our friend Erin came to town, on tour with Blondie and X. We picked her up at the airport and dropped her off at her hotel. While she and Meg were inside dropping off her luggage (and apparently getting a complimentary glass of wine!), I stood outside by the Valiant and chatted with Blondie's bass player about music in Boston in the 70's (Real Kids, Neighborhoods, DMZ, etc., etc.).
The next day, Meg and I headed up to Hampton Beach, NH, to see the show. It was in this very historic hall that dates to 1898 (!), and they have banners of some of the acts who have played there over the years, going back to the Jazz Age. X was great, and yes, Billy Zoom is still creepy but cool. 
I had never seen Blondie, so this was fun. Debbie Harry came out in this get up (I-Phone, shitty light, bad photos, what can I say) because it is the "No Principles" tour. Get it? She's a principal. They were great, and it was cool to see kids and the old fogies rocking out -- and a few of the fogies get kicked out. Thank you Erin for the tickets, great to see you, have a blast on tour, and see you in New Bedford in October!
Last weekend we went to a motorcycle show in Oxford. It's a little over an 80-mile round trip, and we decided to ride bikes out there. Meg killed it on the SR250, getting up to 65mph, her farthest and fastest trip on her bike so far. Very cool bikes. Won't bore you with the details., but took a few photos of some of the cooler Hondas. CB75o above, shiny tank and side covers. 
CB175 sloper racer. 
CL175 with a fat ass seat. 
Very cool, original and unmolested CB77 Superhawk, this is the speedo/tach combo where the needles go in opposite directions. 
And this is the whole bike. I want one of these bad, 
Another CB77, nice and restored. 
I've skated Dug E. Death's Hellgate ramp a couple times now, and finally remembered to take photos. Last session was just me and him. Tight corners, and some construction obstructing the lines. Always fun to skate and BS with Dug. 
Finally, for your viewing pleasure, Meg with our cats. Whenever both cats are on her, which is rare, she always insists that I take a photo. The photos, of course, go nowhere but just sit on my phone. Until now!
 

1 comment: