Tuesday, August 23, 2011

Gary Glitter

Dunno what it is, but I've been listening to some Gary Glitter lately. Yes, I know he's a creepy and disgusting pedophile, kicked out of Cambodia, jailed in Vietnam and England, and currently not allowed to leave England. Yes I know he is weird and creepy looking. But there is something amazing about his early 1970s stuff (the costumes, the hair, the fact that every song has syncopated clapping (or so it seems). He had 11 top ten hits in the UK from 1972-1975 (all of his singles in that period hit the top ten!). His career faltered a couple times, he made a few comebacks, he was in an ad campaing for British Rail, he had opened a snack restaurant (Glitter's Snack Bar -- "The Leader of the Snack"), he did some duets (Girlschool!). He's a freak, for sure. So many people have covered his stuff: Joan Jett's debut record featured two Gary Glitter covers, and her version of "Do You Want to Touch Me" went to #20 in the US); The Undertones did "Rock 'n' Roll Part II" -- D.I. did too, and I'm sure a ton of other folks have; Turbonegro does "Hello Hello It's Good to be Back;" Girlschool did "I'm the Leader of the Gang" with Glitter, Joan Jett's other cover was "Doing Alright with the Boys"). Enjoy, but it's OK to be creeped out too. By the way, I am going to be playing some of these out...






Love the crowds in the videos, stoned out of their minds and dancing all slow. And the band? From outer space... Up to you to look up some of the covers -- Joan Jett's are more rockin' and pretty damn good.

EDIT: How could I forget the Devil Dogs' version of Shakey Sue? Welp, I did, so here it is:

1 comment:

  1. Glitter and The Sweet two Glam greats. That picture of the Sweet on the bikes rules. Kettle

    ReplyDelete