Tuesday, October 18, 2011

Evidence XXXII: Sometimes part of skating pools...

Sometimes part of skating pools is draining them but not being able to skate them -- then and there. Hoss got a tip on this one, a friend of his grew up in the house, and said it was empty and vacant. We had the name of the previous resident, so that was our first excuse. As we were bucketing, a nosy neighbor poked his head over the fence, and off the bat asked "Are you guys the mosquito patrol?" This is our usual response to people asking what we're doing, but this guy just handed it to us. We were a little unprepared for some of his follow up questions: "How'd you get the job?" "I'm looking to do something like this, some landsdcaping work, who do I call?" Still, he left us alone to clean -- about 8 inches of clear water with some scum at the bottom. I killed about 30 mosquitos when we were done, but it wasn't going to be dry before dark -- and it was slippery. We decided to do some more scoping.

We are all victims of the digital age.

Pool #2, rough and tumble.

Pool #3, old lady names Viola lives here, she's going to ask her son, but we might be able to skate. Looks killer.


Dumper up the street.

run down meth apartments, the guard dog ran away when I got close to the gate. Gonna keep our eyes on this one.

For the record, the most mosquitos I've killed in one go was on a research trip to Sumba, Indonesia. It's an area infested with malaria, and I've had it four times, so I try to be careful as they seem to like me. So I sprayed this gnarly chemical mosquito killer in my room, closed the door, and left for 2 hours. Came back and there were 130+ dead mosquitos in my room. Wound up getting malaria in Sumba again, but in a different own. Pictures from this trip are at: http://megandwez.multiply.com/photos

No comments:

Post a Comment