Thursday, June 20, 2013

Penetrators "Shopping Bag"

Writing my usual reviews for Thrasher, and although the flow of shwag from record labels that was a torrent in the 1990s has slowed to a mere trickle these days ("I'll send you a download"), a few record labels continue to send me the goods. I used to get 95% crap (that I would then trade in at the record store for shit that I actually wanted), but nowadays it's more like 50% decent stuff, from labels such as Goner, In the Red, Hozac, etc. Slovenly is one of those labels, and they continue to send me killer shit. Pete (the Sticker Guy) has done an amazing job of compiling bands from all over the globe, leaning toward garage punk and the trashier side, but really with bands that have a lot of different styles. Slovenly reissued the Penetrator's LP ("Kings of Basement Rock") which I had heard before(they're a KBD band, their stuff has been around if you knew where to look). It's a great listen, and like their contemporaries the Ramones they blend some 1960s sensibilities (including an Animals cover). Their song "#1 band in this town" was probably an accurate reflection of the Syracuse, NY scene around 1977. They also made a killer video for their song "Shopping Bag" which was apparently refused by MTV. Goddam, so close to the big time!

No comments:

Post a Comment