Wednesday, February 27, 2013

Another bike out the door

Went for a ride Sunday. Front to back: Maaike's CB350, Vargas' CB175, Maaike's CB200, Laura's CB400F, my Cb350F, Meg's SR250. Maaike's 350 giving all kinds of carb grief, but there is a happy ending in one case... 
Worked on Trent's CB550 and Laura's CB400F las year. Trent's was in and out pretty quickly: carb clean, oil change, points, plugs, timing, carb sync. I think that's all I did? Laura's was giving me grief. The tuneup was easy, but there were a few electrical bugs as well, and her side cover was messed up. I had one sitting around with a small break in it, so I fixed it and it work. Rebuilt the master cylinder as well. But her horn and starter didn't work. I go at it here and there over the past couple months, and gave up once or twice and recommended taling it to a shop. Glad I stuck with it though. She needed new wiring to the starter from the solenoid, needed a new solenoid, needed a new ignition switch -- all three of those things were why the starter wouldn't work, and I thought I had one figured out and still nothing. Finally got it sorted. I tested the horn after pulling it off, and it worked. So I assumed it was wiring. I took apart the horn button and cleaned it twice. I reconnected all of the wiring and made sure the leads were clean. It seemed like everything was in order. Then -- nothing. I went though everything one more time and then tested the horn -- dead as a doornail. Got a new horn from a CB350F at Bob's, mounted it with a little finangle, and lo and behold, horn is back. It was already to go, but then the front brake was sticking. What? I rebuilt the master cylinder. Hoping it wasn't the caliper, I hit it with a mallet and it broke free. It seemed like the other end -- not the caliper end, was sticking. How the hell? No spring in the spring? Still shouldn't stick. Took the front wheel and brake apart today at 5 with a delivery time of 6. Lo and behold, the thing that is supposed to move freely between the caliper and the pad on the other side was completely seized, likely due to a little rust from sitting outside. Went at it with PB Blaster and a hammer, freed it up, polished it down, used some axle grease, and it was swinging free now. Got it all together and changed the oil, and I was there at 6:05.
 
Much has been said and written about the CB400F. It is truly a fun and remarkable bike. First stock 4-1 exhaust, and the way it wraps around the oil filter is pure beauty. They're responsive and quick and light and nimble, and that 6th gear is killer on the freeway. Laura's bike is 100% stock, and pretty damn awesome that way. Some new paint and a little elbow grease and polish and that thing will turn even more heads than it does now.

No comments:

Post a Comment