Wednesday, February 20, 2013

Evidence CXI: A Bowl and Rock 'n' Roll

Top dude Rhino texted me a week or two ago: his buddy Josh's band The Shrine was on tour with Graveyard, and Josh as itching to skate something in AZ. Could I hook him up? Does a bear shit in the pope? Josh got in touch, and I told him to get a hold of me when he makes it into town. He called yesterday, and I went to pick him up. Being on tour with Graveyard has its advantages: they've got a player tour bus that fits both bands, and everybody's got their own bed. Damn.
I was going to take him to a permission pool, but I never heard back from the dude. So Powerline, the old standby, it was. B-Rad had just cleaned and drained it, so after a quick sweep with a palm frond we were good to go. Josh had a small window, which was fine as two-man sessions can get you winded. He was stoked on the contours, and I told him about the light-after-death line in the middle pocket. He was cruising, craving and grinding, but I didn't know if he would go for it. The answer was yes. After two or three times, he was coming close. It's a gnarly grind, and he took some gnarly slams -- Jonny Tsunami later pointed out that he could have taken a hard slam, taken him self out, and been unable to play the show. I vaguely remember a James Hetfield story that was similar, and then some kind of contract stipulation. Regardless, after a couple hard slams, he fucking stuck it and rode away. I was psyched, I had no idea if he was gonna rip or what, but my question was answered. Sick shredding, bro! 
The evidence is blurry, apparently. 
Josh didn't have folks in mind for a guest list, so he told me fire away and send him a list. He got eight of us in the show. Fuckin' A, that's proper, thanks mang! His band The Shrine tore it up -- killer rock 'n' roll with some stoner rock thrown in. It's kind of hard to see in the photo, but you could see the dirt and dust on his right sleeve from multiple pool slams while he was playing.
Graveyard was sick too. Hung out a little with Axel, their drummer, who had some cool stories about travelling in Laos, Vietnam and Cambodia 12 years ago. Another killer rock 'n' roll band, killer skills by all the players (sometimes it seemed like the songs were solos on different intstruments all strung together).

No comments:

Post a Comment