Wednesday, September 14, 2011

Go, Cuby, Go!

Waiting on Brock to help with the CB350F exhaust -- it's gonna be bitchin'! -- so I decided to work on that pesky Honda Cuby engine. My girl's dad sold Honda stuff (mostly lawn tools, but a few bikes too) in a small town in Massachusetts in the '70s and '80s, and he came across the Cuby at a yard sale for $5. He knew what it was, so he got it. The Cuby is a training engine for Honda techs built around 1960. Honda stopped using them and decided to send some to dealers in the US as a promotion. I've heard everything from 50 to 200 made it to the US, but I dunno. When Meg's parents moved from MA to WA, her dad asked if I wanted it. I said no at first, fo some reason (probably thinking I got enough junk around here), then got smart and said "yeah! Send it my way!" Got it, let it sit for about 1.5 years, then, after searching for a day or so for a spark plug, I found one. Cleaned out the carb, added oil and the thing fired up. It leaked some gas, so I've had to work on the carb a few times (see the Q-Tips in the photo?), but I think I got it dialed in. Now I need proper fuel line. Thing starts first pull of the cord! Here's one runnin':

Also tore apart the original light from our pool. Pool was built around 1958, when our house was. I am going to make some kind of outdoor light, so I had to open it up to get the guts out. 50 years of under water meant that the metal is soft -- goo din some ways (for drilling out), bad in others (trying to back out the bolts -- every one of the m broke). Gotta clean the glass too...

Two things I am trying to work into Meg's bike. Get the rusty motif? I mean patina... Above is going to be the tail light somehow. Below... where do I put the dummy bomb?

No comments:

Post a Comment