Friday, June 3, 2011

Shitwigs of the '80s!

So, uh, yeah, photos from the past inevitably lead to crunchy moments of self pondering. Judging by the shitwig growth, this is about 1988 or so. The Fallout team did a series of demos at the Kingdome with some of the Powell team (Lance Mountain, Salman Agah, Eric Sanderson, maybe someone else?). It was some ridiculous kids events where they expected thousands of people, and hardly anyone showed up; another bust due to overinflated expectations. We built the ramp hastily, and it wound up developing kinks after the first day. This photo was from an article in Transworld Skate Business, an industry insider mag.

I had a poo helmet for about 3 years, late 1986-1989, that started when I lived in England -- that's another story. I got onto the Alva team in 1987 after I got back from England. A bunch of pros came to Seattle for the Gotcha Grind contest (Jeff Philips killed it before he got hurt, Tom Groholski killed it, Gator killed it, Micke Alba killed it, Hosoi killed it...). Since we skated for Fallout, the best local shop, we got passes and got to hang out in the VIP area. I met Dave Duncan, and during one of the practice days took him, Hosoi, and Eddie Reatigui to a square pool in Renton. Daddy Duncan said he could hook me up if I got in touch after he got back. I called, and sent a letter with a few photos. The letter described my contest placings -- kind of hilarious now compared to how kids get sponsored, and I wish someone had a copy of the letter -- maybe I don't, actually). Duncan put me on the Alva "B" team, I paid $10 for wheels, and $20 for decks. I got a photo and then a check out in Poweredge, and then got on the full am ride on Alva. The shitwig helped for sure. Check the photo of the team right about that time:




And Girl did a send up of it recently:


No comments:

Post a Comment