Monday, June 20, 2011

Which is better? Deep Purple or Metal Church version

So when faced with the question of "which version is better, the original or the cover?", I usually go with the original. And when I hear a song that's a cover, I tend to go seek out the original just so I can make the comparison. To wit, the Detroit Cobras do mostly covers. I've tracked down on vinyl almost all of the original versions of the songs, and with a few exceptions ("99 and a half won't do," for example, which isn't really a cover in the strict sense of the word, but more influenced by the orignal) I tend to like the originals better. Have you heard Otis Redding's "Shout Bamalama?" The single goes for big bucks -- I think in the $60-$70 range, or more -- but it's also available on the Old King Soul #4 compilation (I'm only telling you thin because I already own it). I tend to think that there's something about the original that just makes it superior, partly because the original is often written by the performer (not always, and frequently not for older stuff when songwriters wrote most of the stuff that other people performed -- see, e.g., Neil Diamond).

So, backtrack to 1984. I had been into punk for a few years already, thanks to my older brother turning me on to the Clash, Sex Pistols, Specials, etc. Hardcore was at its height, and loud and fast ruled. Hair metal was also at its height (think Van Halen (who oddly I appreciate now but hated then), Whitesnake, Ratt, all that shit). As a punker, I hated the hair metal. I used to give the metal dudes shit, and they'd give me shit. A couple of the rocker guys on my high school soccer team called me "the punk" derisively, for example.

But then a funy thing happened: Metallica released "Kill 'Em All" and Slayer released "Show no Mercy"in 1983. My friends Rob, Trev and Drew, who lived in the more metal friendly 'burbs of Redmond and Juanita, got into Metallica and Slayer, and turned me on their records. Metal Church was a local band from the Eastside burbs, and they put out their self-titled debut LP in 1984. Their chops were gutsy and tough, and their singer had a set of pipes. They were firmly in the speedmetal zone but had a few wimpy elements about them (the singer's screams were part of what I thought were funny). But we rocked that record (and I saw Metal Church play with Kiss and WASP once). I play Metal Church when I DJ, people dig it, and that first record kicks ass.

So why all the rambling? The other night were were going to visit our friend Jay after skating some pools. In the car we were listening to the radio when Deep Purple's "Highway Star" came on. Dixon, Brad and I were rocking out and singing along, and we pulled up to Jay's with 30 or 40 seconds left on the song. "We can't get out until this song is done," I said, so we listened until the end. And then I realized I was trying to add in Metal Church's screams to the Deep Purple version, and it didn't work. It was at that point that I decided I liked Metal Church's version better. You? Listen to them both. It's almost 11 minutes. Then you decide.
  

1 comment: