Wednesday, January 9, 2013

Evidence XCVIII: Smallest Pool in the Universe

Hoss is ever the optimist. He sees the value in nearly everything, including any pool that doesn't have any (or much) water in it. "We gotta skate that thing!" he'll say, "It's gonna be fun!" Frequently he is right as rain, and Hoss definitely finds a good number of pools. Occasionally, however, he is not right as rain, but more like right as... I dunno?... mud? Shit? Anyway, this was the latest "we gotta skate this" pool. We showed up to the house -- it is being renovated, but is empty. We park in the driveway as it seems chill and people can't see us. We get in the backyard, and the damn thing is about 6 feet across in the deep end and 5 feet deep. First thing I do is jump from side to side. The water was dank and stinky, but there wasn't much so we bucketed. This was one of those pools where I seriously consider walking away. Maybe I should have: second run, major slammage. WTF? Only line is to kickturn over the light. I was worried about my grind percentage. Well, not really, but it's a running joke. For those not mathematically inclined, one's grind percetage is the number of pools one grinds divided by the number of pool one has ridden. Over my lifetime, I estimate I am over 95%, possibly around 98%. Three years ago when I was forced to count the number of pools I skated in a year (54), I didn't grind two of them. That was also a bad year (for me, for grinding). So, it's not really serious, but it is also kind of indicative: why would I want to skate a pool that looks so shitty that I can't grind it? Hoss convinced me to take a couple runs. Then Hoss grinded it. Then I got a wheel on that chunky cool deck, after that terrible slam. Next run, I got my little grinder, and promptly stopped skating that awful, terrible, no-good piece of shit tiny pool. Grind percentage increased! Best part about the pool: the floral tile pattern.
Hoss with some advice for those who might want to come back and skate this little turd.
 
First thing I did was call up Court, Dickbourg, and Joe, and let 'em know I got the new S.P.O.T.Y.: "smallest pool of the year."
Scoped another solid looking pool, bullnose coping, just down the way, but the owners are storing shit in it. Still -- might be worth a knock on the door...

No comments:

Post a Comment