Tuesday, December 6, 2011

Cowtown Bike one step closer!

So... had the Cowtown bike running a month and a half ago or so, after piddling around with it off and on for months. Blew out a tire, so got new tires. Then decided I would see if the oil injector works -- even though I know premixing is safer. So I added oil to the injector, and did a bunch of other work to the bike, including more rewiring and messing with the petcock a few times -- nothing I hate more than a dripping cock. Then the bike wouldn't start. Over a month of dinking around here and there, pulling the carbs apart again (pain in the assville), I finally figured out that the oil injector, operated by a third cable on the throttle cables, was stuck wide open, so every time I tried to start the bike, it spewed oil into the cylinder. So I disconnected the cable and reset the injector to idle, added a little more premix. Shot a little starting fluid in there, started up third kick. Revved it once or twice before I noticed that all of the oil that had been accumulating in the cylinders was now shooting out the pipes and all over the floor and what was behind it. See photo above.

Took it out to the street, figuring it might drip a little more, started it up and it wasn't dripping, but as you can see from the take off marks, it spewed a trail that goes down the street for about 60 feet and gradually gets lighter. Neighbors are going to love that. It's all together though. Need to tighten up and hide the rest of the wiring, fasten the side cover, make new tank pads, and add headlight and speedo ring. Then a nice wash and polish, and deliver to Cowtown! Oh yeah, gotten adjust that rear brake too...

This is the spot it left on my workshop floor and the stuff behind it. Yes, those are my old pirate boxers. What can I say? Meggers got 'em for me. Blew 'em out skating.

Been having some luck with video, maybe this will work too...

No comments:

Post a Comment